Thursday, January 7, 2010

I'm Committed


As many of you know, I fell in love with rock climbing this summer and spent a good chunk of time at the crag or the bouldering gym. Since moving to Park City I haven't been to The Front and it breaks my heart. I decided that the $70 monthly membership wasn't worth it considering all of my climbing was purely imaginative. So I cancelled it. Gasp!

However, we joined the local rec center today and it felt really good to log some time on the treadmill and pump some iron. I even engaged our roommate in a pull-up contest. (He beat me but only by a few)
I am now resolved to get into amazing shape for climbing so that I am ready to hit the rock running when the weather allows. Here's how I plan to do it:

1. Find and follow a work out plan geared for climbers' needs
2. Recruit a workout buddy to keep me focused (my roommate is a gym rat, which may prove helpful)
3. Frequent trips to Momentum will keep my eyes on the prize
4. A late spring climbing trip somewhere warm (and dry) will be my reward for sticking it out
5. Sending a 5.10d (the hardest I've climbed is a 5.10c) or higher will be my ultimate test and provide the greatest reward for my hard work.

If anyone has a handle on a good climbers workout, please send it my way. I've looked online but I need a step-by-step guide, preferably with pictures and a schedule.

No comments: